Caring for the environment is part of Sunnyside’s DNA. We are very mindful of the impact we have on where we work, and we do what we can to create a sustainable community. Here are just some of the examples:
- We are replacing petrol tools such as lawn mowers and chainsaws, with rechargeable battery tools.
- We compost all our chicken waste and use it to improve the soil.
- All materials used (for example our Vegetable Box Scheme) are recyclable or compostable.
- We recycle all our plastic pots.
- We repair rather than replace everyday items.
- We recycle donated wood.
- We harvest all our rainwater for irrigation.
- We grow everything to organic standards.
- We plant with horticultural diversity in mind to support the bee and wildlife population.
- We have installed an anaerobic digester at Hemel Food Garden and plan to do the same at Northchurch.
- We plan to install solar panels for heating and lighting at Northchurch.
- Visit our farm shop to browse our plastic free range of products e.g. shampoo bars, bamboo toothbrushes, soaps, etc.
- We have a number of bee hives across our sites that encourage healthy bee populations in our community.